1.4 Definition of terms
- A term used to describe an undefined amount of traffic on the Internet.
An example would be: "Posting pictures to the BBQ List is a waste of bandwidth."
- A chemical that forms during the burning of wood in an oxygen-starved
environment. Creosotes are gases and will condense on cooler surfaces, like barbecue meat
and the metal walls of smokers. Creosote on your meat will give it a bitter, nasty taste
and is to be avoided.
- El Cheapo Brinkmann smoking pit. Refers to a vertical water smoker made
by several manufacturers that costs in the neighborhood of $30. Can produce, in the hands
of a skilled pitmaster, prize-winning barbecue.
- A smoker made by New Braunfels and called the Hondo. It is a wood or
charcoal burning off-set firebox type smoker. It is almost identical to the NB Black
Diamond and is functionally equivalent to the Brinkmann SnP Pro.
- In My Humble Opinion.
- The Kansas City Barbecue Society. They sanction many barbecue
- A technique for use with very lean meats where slabs of fat are placed on
the outside of the meat. This acts like a fatter piece of meat and the fat bastes the meat
as it smokes. The slabs of fat can be 1/2 to 1" thick and can be held in place with
cotton string, the kind you'd use to tie a rolled-roast. Discard the fat when the meat
comes out of the pit.
- A somewhat-derogatory term used by wood-burning smoker traditionalists
referring to those who choose to barbecue by using gas or electricity to fuel their pits
and wood chips and or chunks for smoke. The Lazy-Q'ers thereby relieve themselves of the
necessity to expend any but the most trivial effort in the act of barbecuing.
- Reading the posts on a mailing list or newsgroup but not contributing to
the discussion. This is what most newcomers do, read for awhile before they post anything.
- Memphis In May. A barbecue society and a barbecue competition held each
May in Memphis, TN.
- Mindless Drivel. Mindless Drivel. A term used for postings to the BBQ
List that are utterly without any redeeming social merit. When you wish to post a
non-barbecue message to the List, place the letters "MD" in the subject/title to
identify the post as such.
- Mr. Brown
- The crust that forms on the outside of barbecued meat. Also the trade
name of a commercial barbecuespice rub.
- A wood or charcoal burning smoker made by New Braunfels and called the
Black Diamond. It is identical to the Hondo except it has a wooden front shelf instead of
a metal shelf.
- A term originally used to describe an in-ground barbecue pit now used
synonymously with the term 'smoker'.
- or Faux-Q (don't say this one out loud). Meat that is boiled in water
(parboiled) and then finished on the grill and served with a BBQ sauce containing liquid
smoke product. Also used to refer to foods cooked in the oven that simulate real BBQ.
These are taboo on the BBQ List.
- SnP Pro
- A wood or charcoal burning smoker made by the Brinkmann Corporation
called the Smoke'N Pit Professional. It is an off-set firebox type smoker, with a wooden
- A barbecue pit made by Southwest Outdoor Cooking Systems. A vertical pit
that uses gas for fuel and to heat and burn wood chips or pellets to produce the smoke.
The company ceased operations in early 1997.
- On Internet mailing lists or on newsgroups, a discussion on a particular
topic that goes on for days, weeks, months, or in some cases years. An example could be a
'thread' on how to smoke chicken.
- Weber Smokey Mountain charcoal bullet water smoker. The Cadillac of
bullet smokers manufactured by the Weber Grill Company.
- Uniform Resource Locator. An Internet Web page or FTP address.
Thursday, November 25, 1999